The Chehalis Basin Partnership & partner organizations are recruiting a Stream Team Coordinator for the 2017 school year. Applications are due Friday, August 3rd. Read below for position description.
** ** **
Position Title: Grays Harbor Stream Team Coordinator.
Dates of Service: Desired Start Date: September 1, 2017. One year with an average of 20 hrs/week, through September 2018.
Clean, healthy streams and estuaries sustain salmon, shellfish, and our way of life. An engaged local community is needed to help protect and restore these ecosystems. This position will help revitalize the Grays Harbor Stream Team, a project which was started in 2009 to increase community involvement in environmental stewardship by conducting volunteer stream restoration projects in the lower Chehalis watershed and Grays Harbor area.
The Stream Team Coordinator will recruit volunteers, deliver environmental education and lead environmental restoration projects. The Coordinator will develop restoration projects in collaboration with natural resource-focused organizations working in the Gray Harbor area, including: Chehalis River Basin Land Trust, Chehalis Basin Partnership, Grays Harbor Historical Seaport, Grays Harbor Audubon Society, and the Grays Harbor Conservation District. The Coordinator will guide volunteers through work parties to plant trees and shrubs along streams, remove invasive species and trash around streams and on conserved land, coordinate environmental education opportunities, and help implement educational events including the Chehalis Watershed booths at various community events. The Coordinator will be housed at the Grays Harbor Historical Seaport but will work throughout the lower Chehalis River watershed and Grays Harbor area. This position is designed to both serve an important need in the community, and provide learning and work experience for a student or recent graduate.
- Coordinate volunteers: actively recruit and maintain volunteers; customize volunteer positions based on individual skills sets; and continue developing a volunteer database
- Work with organization leaders to continually assess and revise volunteer experiences to ensure quality and effectiveness of educational components.
- Plan and coordinate volunteer streamside planting and maintenance events: conduct monthly volunteer events including riparian restoration work parties (at least 1), invasive species removal (at least 3), and watershed education event (1).
- Help plan and implement hands on youth education activities at the Chehalis Watershed booth at various community events
- Personal interest in conservation of the natural environment
- Desire to serve diverse groups of people
- Self-motivated and independent
- Good time management skills and ability to structure own schedule
- Ability to work independently and as part of a group
- Reliable and prompt attendance
- Strong communicator, both verbally and in writing
- Experienced with public speaking, outgoing and proactive at engaging volunteers at events
- Ability to work evenings and weekends
- Ability to lift and carry up to 40 pounds and walk uneven terrain through adverse conditions
- Computer proficiency: Microsoft Word and Excel, PowerPoint; e-mail; basic file organization
- Social media proficiency: Facebook page management
- Must have valid driver’s license and regular access to an insured vehicle
- Must have own computer or lap-top
- US citizen, national, lawful permanent resident, or on work visa valid through term of employment
- First Aid/CPR card preferred
- Currently enrolled in or a graduate of a community college or 4-year college
- Background (education or experience) in biology, natural resources, education, or related field
- Experience managing volunteers
- Experience conducting educational activities for youth or adults
- Experience designing, installing and maintaining riparian restoration & maintenance projects
- Current or past residence in the Grays Harbor area
- Familiarity with the Grays Harbor communities
- Ability to identify local plant and fish species
Project work will take place throughout the Grays Harbor and lower Chehalis River basin area (Aberdeen, Hoquiam, Cosmopolis, Westport, Montesano, and unincorporated areas). The Coordinator’s office will be at the Grays Harbor Historical Seaport, along the Chehalis River in Aberdeen. Access to your own transportation is essential to be able to work in this large region.
$15/ hour. No benefits
How to Apply
Send application materials by August 4th, 2017 to Kirsten Harma, Watershed Coordinator: email@example.com
Application materials include:
- Cover Letter
- Names and phone numbers for three references
Feel free to contact Kirsten Harma with any questions via e-mail (above) or phone (360) 488-3232.
Information on partner organizations:
Chehalis Basin Partnership: www.chehalisbasinpartnership.org
Chehalis River Basin Land Trust: http://www.chehalislandtrust.org/
Grays Harbor Historical Seaport: http://historicalseaport.org/
Grays Harbor Audubon Society: http://www.ghas.org/